Introducing Brightspace, the new Learning Management System at LMU
After over 17 years with MYLMU Connect (Blackboard), LMU is making the transition to Brightspace this summer. Summer Session One will be the final semester with courses offered in MYLMU Connect. Access to MYLMU Connect will be removed on June 30.
MYLMU Connect course content from the Academic Year 2016-17 will be migrated to Brightspace in early July. For courses prior to Fall 2016, content migration can be requested via the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide a list of CRN's for the courses to be migrated. Also, learn to migrate courses on your own below.
Start Fresh, Don't Rush
Forty percent of former MYLMU Connect users have already made the switch to Brightspace. Many of them will tell you that starting fresh with Brightspace is better than simply uploading your course export from MYLMU Connect. With more control over your course structure, Brightspace allows you to reimagine your course in a way that makes sense to you and your discipline.
In order to not feel rushed in the days leading up to August 28th, download the checklist below using your own time frame or the included suggested Summer timeline.
Orange is the New Black(board) Celebration
April 24, 4:00-7:00 pm
Von der Ahe Suite, WHH Library
Bye Bye Blackboard, Hello Brightspace! RSVP today and help us celebrate this important milestone with good food and good drinks. Come learn how other faculty have made the transition to using Brightspace. We will also be demonstrating ways to integrate other technologies into Brightspace as a way to further engage your students, including:
- Echo 360: Active Learning (brand new!)
- VoiceThread audio and video discussions
- Kaltura embedded video
Spring & Summer I 2017
- Brightspace & MYLMU Connect are fully supported
May 15 - 18, 2017
- Brightspace Bootcamp
June 30, 2017
- Access to MYLMU Connect will be removed
Summer II 2017
- Transition to Brightspace only: MYLMU Connect courses will not be created for Summer II
- MYLMU Connect courses from Academic Year 2016-2017 will be copied to Brightspace
August 14 - 25, 2017
- Brightspace Bootcamp
- First regular semester fully on Brightspace
How do I move my courses from MYLMU Connect?
ITS is doing everything it can to ensure a smooth transition to Brightspace. First and foremost, we highly encourage you to attend a workshop as well as reach out to your Instructional Technologist. We also recommend that you take this opportunity to re-think how you digitally interact with your class. The Instructional Technologists can help you with this re-imagination and transition. Other items to note:
- All MYLMU Connect courses from Academic Year 2016-2017 will be copied to Brightspace.
- To have any MYLMU Connect courses from Fall 2013 to Summer 2017 copied to Brightspace, please send a request to email@example.com with the course name, CRN and semester.
- Additionally, you can migrate courses yourself. It is a two-step process: Exporting from MYLMU Connect and Importing into Brightspace.
First, start in MYLMU Connect:
- In the course, go to the Control Panel
- Select "Packages and Utilities"
- Click on "Export"
- Choose to Select All or choose the components you'd like to save
- Click "Submit" (wait until course export/archive has completed - you will receive an email, or you can refresh the page periodically)
- Save the .zip file of the course to your computer and store in a safe place such as Box. Do not open the .zip file/allow your computer to automatically open the file.
Once you have the .zip file downloaded on your computer, go to your course in Brightspace and do the following:
- Go to the Import/Export/Copy Components tool for the course offering you want to copy components into
- Click Course Admin on your course navigation bar, then click Import/Export/Copy Components
- Select Import Components -> From a Course Package and click Start
- Upload the .zip file you saved and select either Import All Components or Advanced Options to select individual components
- After the import is complete, you will see your course content
Faculty Brightspace Workshops
There are lots of opportunities for you to learn how to get the most out of Brightspace before Fall 2017 begins. The Instructional Technologists will be offering face-to-face and online workshops starting May 8th and continuing throughout the summer. Brightspace Bootcamps will be offered the weeks of May 15-18 and August 14-25. Watch your inbox for more information.
The Bootcamps are two-day intensive workshops geared towards faculty who are rethinking current courses, teaching a new course and/or wanting to maximize Brightspace to its fullest potential.
Geared towards faculty interested in learning more about and using the principles of Backwards Design that are baked into the structure of Brightspace. This workshop is great for faculty who are rethinking current courses, teaching a new course and/or wanting to maximize Brightspace to its fullest potential.
Nuts and Bolts Workshops
These workshops are meant to cover the core functionality of Brightspace. Here's what you can expect in each of the four 45-minute workshop sessions.
Brightspace 101: Fundamentals
This introductory workshop includes a general overview of Brightspace layout and navigation, as well as the essential skills required for setting up your course and communicating with your students. Featured topics include site navigation, creating modules/folders, uploading course content, and communicating with your students.
Brightspace 201: Student Interactions
This workshop emphasizes the assorted tools available in Brightspace that promote student engagement and assorted learning activities. Featured topics include creating assignment submission folders, evaluating student submissions, using discussion boards, and assigning group projects. A brief overview of the Grade Center will also be provided.
Brightspace 301: Grade Center
The Grade Center is a robust and powerful tool that can be used for tracking and sharing student progress and performance. This workshop will focus on how to best utilize and calibrate the Brightspace Grade Center given your individual course structure and learning objectives. Featured topics include using the Setup Wizard, points vs. weighted grades, grade categories, linking assignment submissions to the Grade Center, and assorted student feedback tools.
Brightspace 401: Online Assessments
This tool-specific workshop examines the assorted survey and quiz tools in Brightspace. Featured topics include automated grading of quizzes, assorted question types, building question banks, creating self-assessments, developing surveys, deploying assessments online, and providing automated feedback to students.
Top 10 Faculty Video Tutorials
Brightspace has created a number of video and print tutorials to help you make the most of Brightspace. Faculty members are automatically enrolled in the Instructor Training Course in Brightspace, and students are added to the Student Training course, and will both be available on your dashboard as soon as you log into your Brightspace account. Each course has video and printed instructions that will help you become a Brightspace maven in no time.
To get a taste of the tutorials, here are the top ten videos:
Creating Modules in Brightspace
Adding an Announcement
Please note: the Announcements tool was previously called News and may be referred to such in videos created by D2L.
Creating a Discussion Forum
Please note: the Assignments tool used to be called Dropbox and may be referred to such in videos created by D2L.
Top 8 Student Video Tutorials
Brightspace has created a number of video and print tutorials to help you make the most of Brightspace. Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Training course and will be available on your dashboard as soon as you log into your Brightspace account. Each course has video and printed instructions that will help you become a Brightspace maven in no time.
To get a taste of the tutorials, here are the top eight videos:
Navigating Discussion Boards
Please note the Assignments tool used to be called Dropbox and may be referred to such in videos created by D2L.
Are there Brightspace mobile apps?
There is a mobile-friendly browser version of Brightspace that will load automatically after you log in on your mobile device. If you would like to access Brightspace content via mobile apps, there are a few options, both available in the Apple App Store and on Google Play:
- Brightspace Pulse: A mobile app that helps students keep track of important updates. It brings news, deadlines, and grades together in one place so they can spend less time organizing and more time learning.
- Brightspace Binder: An effortless way to keep track of course content. Our free cross-platform app makes it easy for students to store and view all their learning materials in one convenient place.
- Assignment Grader: A mobile app that makes marking faster and more effective. It gives you on-the-go access to submitted assignments and tools for providing detailed feedback in any format you want. (Tablet only, Faculty only)