Incubator Classroom in the Von der Ahe Building
Learning space design has an impact on shaping the culture and outcomes of teaching and learning, and the success of the Incubator Classroom in VDA 40 started LMU's push toward more interactive and collaborative classrooms. Immerse yourself in designing and delivering your classroom instruction with a set of cutting-edge technologies, completely mobile furniture, and write-able walls to connect better with your students and engage them in learning. This flexible learning space is designed to encourage you to think outside the box and re-imagine a classroom in which learners have ownership. Scroll down to reserve your class, session, or event.
What is available in the room?
- 24 flexible, rolling chairs
- 24 iPads
- Two high-end projectors
- ēno interactive whiteboard
- Full-wall whiteboard
- Echo360 classroom capture system
This room is equipped with cutting-edge technologies, and all of them are there to enhance interactivity and sharing of knowledge. The room will evolve and be updated based on your needs, to maximize your class experiences.
What can I do with all the equipment available in the room?
Treat this room as a regular classroom space but with a greater level of flexibility and innovation. Here are some of the activities you can do (but not limited to):
- Interact with mobile devices for instant access to information and interaction
- Present multiple sources of input
- Have students roll the furniture into groups for discussion and hands-on activities, or a class roundtable
- Record classroom conversations, lecture, and interactions with our classroom capture system
- Navigate content on the ēno interactive board and save all your interactive notes for sharing
- .... and a lot more with your creativity!
How can I schedule to teach in the room?
The application at the bottom of this page will allow you to submit your request for reservation. With a careful review of your application and coordination with other faculty schedules, we will do our best to assign you to the space at your desired time slots. View the room calendar to check availability.
What type of support is available in the room?
Information Technology Services will be responsible for managing the technical configuration of the room. Software requests, installation, and repair are all done via an ITS Help Desk request. All instructors who wish to use the room need to attend a 15 min introduction training to help familiarize themselves with the space.
Hours of operation
Open when classes are held; otherwise closed.
Policies & requirements
- Reservations are on a first come, first served basis. However, please note: this is a creative teaching environment, traditional lectures should be conducted in standard classrooms and not in this space. Since we anticipate high demand for the space, please be considerate of others if you do not plan to take advantage of its potential.
- Room and equipment orientation prior to your first class session. (15 minutes minimum)
- Reservations have to be requested at least one week in advance.
- For instructor station software requests, please fill out the area on page two of the form below. You may submit other requests later by emailing ITS Help Desk at email@example.com.
- For iPad app requests, please fill out the area on this form below. During the semester, you can submit other iPad app requests through ITS Help Desk. We will consider all requests, but may reject based on cost. Requests for iPad apps must be made at least TWO weeks in advance of the class period you wish to use it.
- Access: Talk to a staff member in the VDA 21 across the hall to have the Incubator Classroom door opened during or just before your reserved time. If you are scheduled for Saturday, please give at least a week notice to allow us to coordinate door access.
- For Echo360 classroom capture requests, email your desired schedules for recording at firstname.lastname@example.org.