On the Computer
For Westchester students: mail.lmu.edu
For Loyola Law School Students: mail.lls.edu
For detailed instructions on mobile set up, visit these links:
On Mobile Devices
Download the Outlook app from the Google Play or Apple app store.
For iPhone or iPad:
- Delete existing Gmail account.
- Add an Exchange account (NOT Outlook.com)
- Use full Lionmail/LLS address
- This should prompt the LMU/LLS Authentication Page. Re-enter your LMU/LLS username and password
If you need to manually setup the account:
- Server = outlook.office365.com
- Domain = leave blank
- Username = full Lionmail/LLS address
- Password = LMU/LLS password
- Delete existing Gmail account.
- Delete exiting Gmail account
- Add Exchange account
- Use email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org as your email address.
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync for service
- This should prompt the LMU Authentication Page. Re-enter your LMU/LLS username and password
Any Questions? Call Us, Email Us, Find Us
ITS Service Desk - extended hours and more staff to answer questions after the migration
- Westchester Campus: 310.338.7777 or email@example.com
- Loyola Law School: 213.736.1097 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop-in Stations at Westchester Campus
- Jan. 12 & 13 (2 - 6 p.m. move-in weekend): Housing check-in at Founders Pavilion or Leavey 6
- Jan. 14 & 15 (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.): Lawton Plaza or University Hall coffee shop
- Jan. 16, 17, and 18 (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.): TechOn2 on the 2nd floor of the library
Drop-in Station at Law School Campus
- Jan. 14 & 15 (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.): Computer Resource Center on the 2nd floor of the library
Drop-in Station at Playa Vista Campus
- Jan. 14 & 15 (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.): Front desk by the elevator
Check back regularly for additional questions and answers. If you do not see your answers, please contact ITS Service Desk: Westchester: 310.338.7777 or email@example.com; Loyola Law School: 213.736.1097 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why are we moving to Outlook?
- Who made the decision to move?
- Will I have a different email address?
- Will my username and password change?
- I currently forward my LMU email to my personal email account; will the migration affect this?
- How do I set up forwarding if I want to keep using Gmail?
- Will the change affect how I login into LMU systems like MyLMU and PROWL?
- How do I access Outlook after the migration?
- Do I need to make any changes on my smartphone or tablet after the migration?
- Which apps in G Suite will be moved to Outlook?
- I use Gmail Labels to organize my emails. Does Outlook have a similar function?
There are three primary benefits to our move from Gmail to Outlook. They are:
- Collaboration: Once students are migrated to Outlook, everyone at both campuses (Westchester and Loyola Law School) will be using the same email platform. Having all students, faculty, and staff on the same platform will increase collaborative opportunities and ease communication.
- Post-LMU Employment: Microsoft Office Suite, of which Outlook is the email component, is preferred by numerous workplaces in every field. Learning out to use Outlook and related apps in school will help you transition smoothly and quickly to the professional environment.
- Free Microsoft Office: Once you transition from Gmail to Outlook, you'll be able to download the full Microsoft Office Suite, which includes programs such as Word, Excel, and Power Point, on as many as five computers. The suite typically costs $150 or more.
The University commissioned a task force to look at our email situation and, after an extensive 6-month review, the committee recommended unanimously moving to Microsoft 365 for the entire campus (faculty and staff were moved last May). This decision was not taken lightly, and was done after much consultation with Google and Microsoft, in addition to third-party consultants. At the end of the day, LMU is responsible for the security of our email and communications, and Microsoft’s products are more mature in this respect. Also, by moving everyone to Microsoft 365, students will have additional collaborative tools for working with their professors (for the past 10 years, students and professors have been on separate systems). While Google has great products for consumers, it does not have all of the functionally that LMU needs as complex institution.
No, Your email address will stay the same. For Westchester students, that address is email@example.com. For Loyola Law School students, it is firstname.lastname@example.org.
No. Your username and password will not change.
No. you'll keep receiving your email as you are now.
For Microsoft's instructions on forwarding your Outlook account, click here. Alternately, you can use a redirect service like Thunderbird. In order to set that up, you may need some of the information on this page.
No. You continue using my.lmu.edu to login to MyLMU to access other LMY systems, such as, PROWL.
There will be four ways to access your email account.
- Option 1: On the Mail app on your smartphone or tablet, delete Gmail and add Outlook.
- Option 2: Download Outlook app.
- Option 3: With Office 365, install Outlook Desktop on your computer
- Option 4: Use Outlook Online. For Westchester students, go to mail.lmu.edu. For Loyola Law School students, go to mail.lls.edu.
Yes. In general, you need to delete your Gmail account and add the new Outlook account.
- If you have been using the Gmail app, delete it or remove the LMU/LLS account. Then download the Outlook app and log in using your username and password.
- If you have been using the built-in Mail app, delete your existing account and create a new one.
For detailed instructions, visit these links:
Gmail, Calendar, Contacts will be moved to Outlook. You can continue to access other G Suite apps, such as Google Docs or Google Drive, by visiting Google and clicking on the small grid at the top right of the screen.
Yes. Gmail Labels will show up in Outlook as folders. If you have emails with multiple labels, Outlook will create multiple copies of the emails and place them in the appropriate folders.
NOTE: If there are any tags associated with an email, those tags will supersede any other labels that may be associated with it.
On January 7, 2019, your LMU or LLS student email will move from Gmail to Outlook. ITS created a short series of brief videos, embedded below, to help you understand what this transition means and what it will entail.