Accounts & Passwords
Notice: Starting August 9, you will log in to LMU and LLS systems such as MyLMU using your LMU/LLS primary email address, rather than your username. Your password will stay the same. This is happening because ITS is changing the way our systems authenticate your identity, to make your information more secure.
- For Westchester LMU faculty and staff, use email@example.com
- For Loyola Law School faculty, staff, and students, use firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Westchester LMU students, use email@example.com
Members of the LMU community have various accounts (username and password) for access to ITS resources. ITS centrally manages these accounts, integrating many of them to the Identity Management system. If you find that you need to change your password for any reason, review the instructions near the login area of MYLMU. Assistance is also available through the ITS Service Desk.
With the Workday implementation, you will have the ability to request a preferred name. In Workday, click your profile picture > View Profile > Personal (Click More on the left bar if you do not see this displayed) > Names tab > edit Preferred Name.
To see which systems will be populated with your preferred name, click here. You will be prompted to login to LMU Box to see this list.
Notice: changing your preferred name will not affect your email address.
Choosing a strong password
A strong password...
- is not guessable by any program in a reasonable time (less than one week).
- is easily remembered (so there is no need to write it down).
- is private (it is used and known by one person only).
- is secret (it does not appear in clear text in any file or program or on a piece of paper pinned to the terminal).
Why should I choose strong passwords?
The use of a weak password may allow someone to use your account and therefore to use, modify, corrupt or destroy any of your files or any files that you are allowed to modify. You are ultimately responsible for your accounts even if you intentionally or unintentionally compromise your account by providing your password to others.
I need to reset my password because I have forgotten it, or it has expired.
Note: this will change on August 9, with the implementation of a new authentication method.
- Go to my.lmu.edu.
- Click on Reset Your Password.
- If you have not already set your password security questions, you will be asked to verify your identity with the last four digits of your SSN and DOB prior to setting your password.
- If you have set your password security questions, you will be presented with 2 of the 3 questions that you previously set answers for.
- If you have problems answering the questions, call the ITS Service Desk at 310-338-7777 during regular business hours.
Your LMU or LLS e-mail address is the official email address for University correspondence.
Faculty & Staff
E-mail may be accessed with your MYLMU username and password, either on the web within MYLMU, via mail.lmu.edu, or using a desktop client.
All registered students at LMU are given an e-mail account, known on campus as Lionmail. This is used for all official University communication and is accessible anywhere via the Web.
Access to student email is available through the LMU Portal, MYLMU. Alternatively, students can access their Lionmail account through their mobile device or computer email client. Instructions for setting up .
MyLMU is the official web portal for LMU, providing access to multiple communication resources and web-based services, from announcements and e-mail to self-service tools and file sharing. Access to many services is provided via your single sign-on (SSO) using your LMU username and password. For help with MyLMU, contact the ITS Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310.338.7777.
LMU students retain access to their accounts (MYLMU, Lionmail, Microsoft Office licensing, etc.) for 2 full academic terms after last enrollment date (about 9-10 months). After that time accounts are deprovisioned and deleted.
As an alumni you still have access to the LMU alumni community (http://alumni.lmu.edu ), PROWL (http://prowl.lmu.edu ), transcripts requests (https://academics.lmu.edu/registrar/services/transcripts/ ), and Handshake (https://careers.lmu.edu/handshakealumni).
For library usage, their policy is listed here: https://library.lmu.edu/visitorservices/.The Office of the Registrar offers a service for ordering transcripts that does not require a PROWL login. More info here: https://academics.lmu.edu/registrar/services/transcripts/ Look for the TranscriptsPlus icon and click on that to start the ordering process.
Loyola Law School graduates retain access to their accounts (LLS portal, email, etc.) for 2 years after last enrollment date. After that time accounts are deprovisioned and deleted.
As an LLS alumni you have access to several services and benefits, detailed here: https://www.lls.edu/alumni/benefitsservices/
International student accounts are deprovisioned three years after graduation.
Your Lionmail account will be deactivated two academic terms after your final enrollment date. If you would like to maintain an LMU email address, you can create an alumni account under the domain alumni.lmu.edu. If your Lionmail address is email@example.com, your alumni address will be firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your LLS email address will expire two years after graduation. There is an LLS alumni email forwarding service; however it is not tied in to your LLS account; it is a completely new email address (email@example.com) that provides forwarding only:
Navigate to https://www.lls.edu/alumni/benefitsservices/emailforwarding/ and click on the Begin or Update Forwarding link to start the process.
There are two important things to know about alumni accounts:
- This is a forwarding service only. Any email sent to your alumni.lmu.edu account will be forwarded to a personal email account. You cannot log in to an alumni account. Replies you send will come from your personal email address, not the alumni account. These accounts exists primarily to help you maintain contact with the LMU community.
- This is completely separate from the Lionmail account you used during your tenure at LMU.
This is a great way to keep in touch with the university and receive news and updates!
If you ever need to change your forwarding address, please follow these instructions:
- Visit the Alumni Relations website.
- Click on Benefits and Services on the upper menu (if you don't see that link, click on the three horizontal lines).
- Click on Alumni Directory Login.
- If you are a new user, click on First Time Login (next to the Login button). If you are a returning user, enter your username/password, then click the Login button.
- After you login, click on the Online Community drop-down on the left.
- Click on My Profile.
- Scroll down to the Email Forwarding section and click on Edit.
- Change the forwarding email address at the bottom and click the Save button.
- It will take a couple of business days for the change to take effect.