What It Is
The Navigator program is designed to provide faculty with additional support in managing online instruction. Interested faculty may request a Navigator to assist with basic Brightspace tasks, Zoom support, managing communications, and other technology needs related to instruction and course building.
How It Works
Faculty can request a Navigator through their Dean’s office. If approved, Classroom Support will identify a student worker who can be the Navigator for the course, based on experience level and schedule.
If possible, the relevant Instructional Technologist and the Navigator will meet with the faculty member to discuss specifics of the course, and how the Navigator can best help.
What Can Navigators Do?
Once a request is approved, your designated Navigator will reach out for a consultation, and will follow these guidelines throughout the semester:
- The Navigator can attend all synchronous class sessions to assist the faculty member and students with technology support.
- The Navigator can manage and publish recordings of the class, and make them available to students.
- The Navigator can assist with scanning existing materials into digital format, and assist with posting existing materials in Brightspace.
- The Navigator can be available weekly for one hour of consultation to prepare for upcoming classes. The time of these consultations must be agreed upon in advance and fit with the Navigator's work schedule. The consultations are to help with technology preparedness/troubleshooting/planning. The Navigator is not to be assigned to create any class slides, documents, quizzes, tests, or other course materials.
- The Navigator may not assist with grading or be given access to view or modify student grades.
Zoom Event Support
If you are hosting a large event in Zoom and would like to request ITS assistance or support for your event, please fill out this form (you will be prompted to sign in to Service Now, if you aren't signed in already). Please request support at least two weeks prior to your event.