Online Examination Pilot - Respondus
LMU is piloting with Respondus to support online examination needs. As part of this pilot, LMU has site licenses for LockDown Browser and Monitor, which are accessible through the Brightspace Quizzes feature.
LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system. Used at over 1500 higher educational institutions, LockDown Browser is the “gold standard” for securing online exams in classrooms or proctored environments.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Respondus Monitor® builds upon the power of LockDown Browser, using a student’s webcam and industry-leading video analytics to prevent cheating during non-proctored exams. You won’t find a more cost-effective, student-friendly system for online proctoring.
Daily Training Webinars with Live Q&A
Faculty may attend daily training webinars for LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor: https://web.respondus.com/webinars/. The trainings are about 45 minutes, with an extended Q/A period where questions are answered live. These trainings provide an effective way for getting instructors up-and-running with Respondus applications.
Quick Start Guides
- Respondus in Brightspace Quick Start Guide (Courtesy of Prof. Joe Reichenberger, Professor of Civil Engineering at LMU)
- Faculty Quickstart Guide from Respondus
- Student Quickstart Guide from Respondus
- Test Taking Tips One Sheet
- Respondus Monitor Key Features
- Respondus Monitor resources for instructors
- LockDown Browser Key Features
- LockDown Browser resources for instructors
- Rapid Rollout for Instructors answers the top questions instructors have about LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor
- Respondus-Brightspace bug: not all quizzes are showing up in LockDown Browser Dashboard.
Further support material for LockDown Browser and Monitor can be found at https://web.respondus.com/support/training/.
What technology must my student have to take the exam?
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- iOS: 10.0+ (iPad only)
- Web camera (internal or external) and microphone
- A broadband internet connection