Start-of-Semester Tasks for Faculty
Below, you'll find instructions for common start-of-the-semester Brightspace tasks. We encourage you to contact your Instructional Technologist with any questions or concerns you have as you start each new semester.
- Go to your NEW Course> Course Admin Click Import/Export/Copy Components
- Choose "Copy Components from Another Org Unit"
- Choose "Search for Offering"
- Enter the name of your old course and click the magnifying glass
- Choose your OLD course > Add Selected
- Choose "Copy All Components" to copy the whole course or "Select Components" to copy individual parts of the course.
In order to merge courses, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Course 1 Name, Number, and Section (CRN)
- Course 2 Name, Number, and Section (CRN)
- [additional courses]
- Preference for which course to merge students into
- Do you have existing content in any sections/courses?
Ex: Merge ACCT-2110-01 (70269) with ACCT-2110-01 (70270). No preference, no content exists
Click Roster > Add Participant/Add Existing User > Show Search Options (only the first time)
- Search for your user and press "Enter"
- Check off the name of that individual on the left
- Choose a Role on the right
- Click "Enroll Selected Users"
*Do not enroll students manually. PROWL will do this automatically. If students are in PROWL but not Brightspace, please contact email@example.com.
- Log in to Brightspace and enter the course
- In the NavBar, click Course Admin
- Under Site Setup, click Course Offering Information
- Click the box under Inactive then Save
- Hover your mouse over the picture tile above the courses’ name
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner and choose "Pin"
Tip: Pin Your Course to make a shortcut on your main Brightspace page allowing you to get to your courses quickly after at login.
- Click "Select a Course" at the top of the page to search
- Select your course
Tip: Click on the pushpin to the right of the course’s name, to keep the course highlighted at the top of your list.
- Click on "Content" at the top of your Brightspace front page.
- In the "Add a Module" box on the left side, type a name such as "Syllabus, Week 1", or "Homework Files" and press Enter.
- Drag and drop a document from your desktop onto the dotted area.
Tip: In Brightspace, Modules are like organizational Folders.
- Click "Course Admin" on the top banner/menu
- Select "Announcements"
- Select "New Announcements"
- Compose your message
- Click "Roster" on the top menu/banner
- Select "Email Roster" to email all students
- To email select students, check the box to the left of a student's name. When you've checked all the boxes you need, click "Email"