Faculty use the Learning Management System to design courses, organize materials, enhance engagement, and communicate with students. Instructional Technology Consultants are ready to answer questions about teaching and learning with Brightspace.
Brightspace courses are available for faculty 6 weeks ahead of the start of each semester. Use the resources below to begin managing your course.
Find Your Course
Locate any course that you have access to in Brightspace.
Send An Announcement
Ensure your students receive important messages from you.
Run through this list of vital tasks as you prepare to begin teaching.
If you're a student looking for where to start, use this helpful information.
Instructional Technology Workshops
Group events are a great way to learn and listen, as well as actively participate and collaborate. Sign up for upcoming workshops with the Instructional Technology Team or review materials from past workshops.
|Workshop Title||Date/Time||Venue||Next Step|
|Get More From Brightspace by Integrating Peer Review and Social Annotation||Nov 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Get The Most From Brightspace's Analytics Features and Feedback Tools||Oct 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Make Your Brightspace Course Stand Out by Leveraging Creator Plus||Sep 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Setting Up Your Brightspace Gradebook||Aug 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Creating Your Course in Brightspace||Aug 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Planning Your Course||Aug 2023||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|How to Manage Grades and Offer Feedback||Sep 2022||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Checking for Student Understanding||Oct 2022||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
|Best Ways to Make Feedback Meaningful||Nov 2022||Zoom||Review: Video | Slides|
Review Essentials Guide
Refer to this handy guide about managing Brightspace basics.
Request a Course Merge
Submit this form to join course sites that have multiple sections.
See Recent Updates
Details about Brightspace updates that impact faculty and students.
Set Up Zoom
Manage hybrid and online class meetings and office hours.
Course Design Wizard
Try Creator Plus, a new suite of course design features in Brightspace that help you make your learning material interactive and engaging.
Learn to use Brightspace's accessibility features and create accessible documents for your course.
Use LTI tools and other external apps in Brightspace
LinkedIn Learning is now integrated with Brightspace. Find out how instructors and learners can each enjoy new benefits that were not possible by using the platform externally.
The ITS Knowledge Base contains myriad articles with step-by-step instructions on Brightspace features. Visit the ITS Service Desk Online Portal (https://its.lmu.edu/servicedesk) for a complete list of articles for Brightspace and other applications.
Brightspace Top 10
All About Grading!
Don't wait until grades are due to learn about grading in Brightspace. Use this guide throughout the semester to get a handle on the Gradebook tool and assessment best practices.
- Grades Tool for Instructors
- Assess and Grade Learners
- Entering Grades
- Create a Grade Scheme
- Grading Systems (Weighted vs. Points)
- Create Calculated Grade Items
- Associate a Quiz with a Grade Item
- Assess Students in Discussion Threads
- Grading Student Work in VoiceThread
- About Bonus Grade Items (Extra Credit)
- Download/Export Your Gradebook
- Release Final Grades
Faculty Video Tutorials
Brightspace has created a number of video and print tutorials to help you make the most of Brightspace. All LMU faculty are automatically enrolled in the Instructor Training Course in Brightspace; these tutorials are available on your dashboard as soon as you log into your Brightspace account. Each course has video and printed instructions that will help you become a Brightspace maven in no time. Contact your Instructional Technologist if you require further support.
Faculty: Releasing Final Grades to Students
Create a Discussion Forum
Create a Discussion Topic
Create an Announcement
The Announcements tool was previously called News, and may be referred to such in videos created by D2L.
The Assignments tool used to be called Dropbox, and may be referred to such in videos created by D2L.
Understanding the Grades Tool
Import, Export, and Copy Course Components
- Brightspace courses are available for faculty 6 weeks ahead of the start of each semester. Choose "View All Courses" to begin working on your new course content. If you need assistance, please contact the Service Desk.
- Monthly Systems Updates
- Zoom - Brightspace integration
- Teams - Brightspace integration
- To submit a Courses Merge Request, log in to ITS Service Desk Portal, click the Service Catalog link, and select the "Brightspace Merge Request form"
- Follow these instructions to Upload to Echo360 from Brightspace
- For tips on preparing for the semester, please visit the Teaching site
- Review this Brightspace Essentials document for handy reference
- Use this Brightspace Accessibility Guide for guidance that helps all students
- Contact your Instructional Technologist if you require further support
- If you are a student looking for Brightspace information, visit this page.
New Design Elements
Try Creator Plus, a new suite of course design features in Brightspace that give you great ways to make your learning material interactive and engaging. The Instructional Technology team is available to help. Learn more.
View Recent Workshops
For deep dives into specific topics, be sure to check out these videos and slides from our recent workshops.
Video | Slides - Creating Your Course
Video | Slides - Setting Up Your Gradebook
Video | Slides - Managing Grades and Offering Feedback
Video | Slides - Checking for Student Understanding
Video | Slides - Providing Students Meaningful Feedback